Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Say it with me now

Clint Eastwood has a new movie out where he plays a crotchety old tough guy with a heart of gold and ends up helping a young lovable character.  What a stretch.  I think it's called Gran Torino... no, it's Million Dollar Baby... no wait, it's just about every movie I have ever seen him in.

I love rediscovering old albums I thought I knew and finding cool tunes on the album I forgot all about.  Most recent 2 albums this happened with was Alice In Chains - Jar of Flies and Tragically Hip - Trouble at the Henhouse.

ESPN's ranking of the 4 main pro sports franchises was interesting... and not just because the Leafs were dead last among 122 teams (although I did really enjoy that).  I thought it was a cool way to look at how each franchise rates according to fans.

Good intentions turned bad.... apparently there is an age that is too young to explain to kids what calling 911 is for.  Turns out all of the reasons you would call 911 scared the bajesus out of my 4 year old and she couldn't sleep all night.

Seems like it's been a while since I have had enough new songs to put together a mixed disc or playlist but I finally filled one out.  Here is the track list in case you are looking for some new tunes as well:
1. Are you gonna waste my time? - Zeus
2. Hold on - Alabama Shakes
3. Buttons - Weeks
4. Radio - Rival Sons
5. Little back submarine - Black Keys
6. Right on - The Sheepdogs
7. Daniella - John Butler Trio
8. Thin line (live) - Graveyard
9. Transformation (live) - Colour Haze
10. Costa verde - Rotor
11. Wild goose - Sungrazer
12. Castle keep - Wolf People
13. Cucumber jam - Tommy Bolin
14. Slow train drag - Steepwater Band

TSN replayed the '87 Canada Cup vs Russia and it was great.  The 3 things that stood out the most to me were, #1 - It was really cool to watch Gretzky play in his prime.  He was easily the best and most noticeable player every game and was doing stuff with the puck and making plays that no one else was.  He was also a lot faster than I expected or remembered him to be.  #2 - The Russians were really skilled and fast.  They looked like they were ahead of the curve in regards to puck movement and skill plays with the puck.  Except for Gretzky and Lemieux, the Russians were the more skilled group.  #3 - Canada was dirty.  Hooks, cross-checks, slashes and trips on just about every shift... plus an elbow to the head by Messier just about every time he was on the ice.

I think I will stop at The Beer Store tonight and grab a 17 pack.  They come in that size now right?  I don't even ask for a certain quantity anymore, I just ask what the deal is - which is likely their objective.

New Wolfmother song: "Keep Moving".  Not a bad tune.  Sounds familiar though.


An annoying habit I have developed is that I start golfing better (not great, just better) at the end of the summer when it's tougher to get out and people don't want to play as much anymore.  Lousy career and Canadian weather.

Ice fishing trip is booked. I might start drinking a couple beers for breakfast every day to prepare myself for it.

Another Greg Giraldo bit: Katrina.  Too funny.

The poor NFL replacement refs eh? Everyone (including them likely) knows they suck, but what are they supposed to do?  The ones that weren't high school gym teachers were reffing flag football last year.  The shot of the two refs standing beside each other making two different calls in the Packers/Seahwaks game was priceless.  I don't have a favourite team so I am enjoying the reffing debacle each week.

I hope that the new Windows 8 smart phone, tablet and PC software that is coming out soon is as good as anticipated.  Seems like the perfect way to combine all 3 and have every digital thing you do all available through 1 source.

Say it with me now... "F*ck Gary Bettman".  I don't care how the economics work or whether the players or the owners "win" the negotiation.  In my opinion both sides fail when they have to cancel any of the season.  Imagine your boss telling you that they have run their business like hell for the last few years and they want you to give some of your salary (that they agreed to) back to try and fix things.  The smartest thing I have heard so far is that the new CBA should include a clause stating that negotiations for the next deal have to start at least 1 year prior the deadline.

Stick it in your ear: 22 Days by the 22-20's

It amazes me what some people will do to find a gas station that is even marginally cheaper.  Makes perfect sense to waste more money in fuel by driving all over town, then pump it yourself and waste your time to save $0.34.

Detroit signs Carlo Coliacovo (I don't even care if I spell his name right) for 2 years.  I haven't heard a good, hockey-related piece of news in a long time.

I wish old classic rock bands and artists would stop making new music.  I am a big Neil Young fan and thought about going to see his upcoming show... until I checked out a couple of his recent set lists and realized most of it is from his latest couple albums.  No Heart of Gold, or Old Man or Down by the River or Southern Man or barely any of his great old tunes.  I saw Bob Dylan a few years ago and it may have been the worst show I have ever seen.  We couldn't understand a damn word he said, he faced the side of the stage for most of the show, didn't play the guitar once and there was only a few songs we recognized.  Luckily the Foo Fighters opened with an amazing all-acoustic set so it wasn't a complete waste.

I guess with no NHL hockey this year I might actually find out who plays for the Raptors this season.

I'm not usually a big fan of female comedians, but I caught Amy Schumer on the Comedy Network and she was pretty funny.  Her show was called "Mostly Sex Stuff" and it's worth checking out.

I threw out our phone books at work because we haven't used them in 40 years and within 5 minutes I had 2 people ask me if we had a phone book they could use.

It's hard to believe that David Branch and Gary Bettman are both commissioners of hockey leagues.  Branch actually seems like he cares about the league and the game.



Cheers!
Bonesminded

1 comment:

  1. Stop scaring poor Isabelle. The 911 people are just as scary as the scenarios in which you would call nut the real scary part is the fact you are waiting for the windows 8 stuff. Get on the iLife bandwagon already !

    ReplyDelete